Monday, January 30, 2012

Some of the things we did when I was in grade school in Springville, Utah are uneventful, others were fun. I really liked being in the third grade. Made lots of friends and was a happy child. We played hopscotch, jump the rope, and dodge ball.
I had a very good teacher, Mrs Whitney, I learned to love math in her class along with American History, penmanship, and english.
It was a hard winter that year and my mom made me a good warm coat with a hat, mittens, a muff, and leggings. I looked a bit overdressed when I went to school but I sure was warm.
Primary was on Wednesday afternoon so I stayed and went to Primary before walking the 3 miles home. Mrs Harrison was my teacher there and she really seemed to like me. ( She loved all the kids tho and we knew it.)
I was a happy child at this time of life, i had good friends, I liked school, and church and for the most part I got along well with my brothers. We were very poor but I never felt like we were. The little house we lived in  was a basement home. Because of it being damp during the winter I was sick with a sore throat much of the time. I remember one time I had to leave school because I was so sick. My parents were both at work and I didn't know what to do so I started walking home. I don't know how I made it, I was so fevered I kept stopping and sitting down by the road until I could feel well enough to go a little further. When I got home finally, I layed down and was so sick for a week all I did was sleep.
When I was in grade school, up until the sixth grade I was known as "the little fat girl" and the boys always teased me about being plump. I was short and so I did look fat, during the summer of between sixth grade and seventh I really made some changes in how I looked.

6 comments:

  1. mom, that's a great story, but makes me sad that you had to walk home sick. Somehow it just seems like we do what we have to do though to survive. I always just want to pick you up and put you in my heart, I'm so glad there were people around who loved you, like your teacher. And I wish I could go back and kick all those kids for calling you names, but you got the last laugh, everyone always comments on what a beautiful mom I have, so there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ann, the name at that time was more funny to all of us than it was mean or hurtful. It is just the way we were and we didn't seem to take offense at things like that, way back then. If we did then I guess I didn't. Sure do love you and I am glad you and the others are following my blog. I need to get with the pictures tho. SOON!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that house still had water in it until the day it was no more. We think about walking 3 miles now and thats a chore especially for a kid. But I remember walking from the house in LaVerkin to school and it didn't seem as far as it does now.
    I love you Blog and all the stories....and I love you too with all my heart!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is amazing the resilence we women have, even at a young age. I am grateful to have such great 'roots' and the instinct to survive no matter what life throws my way. I get that resolve from my mom. You are such a great role model mom. You have always had the drive, the strength and the wisdom to move forward amidst great adversity. Thanks for sharing your story, you are so loved!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love reading your stories! As a teacher I'm a little appauled to hear that they let you walk home sick instead of keeping you til a parent arrived, but I guess it's the little things like that in life that make us who we are. It's hard to appreciate the good if you never have to experience the bad. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Grandma, It's been awhile...

    ReplyDelete